"Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy."
Quote by: Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

Monday, September 27, 2004

Another poem

Another poem

Recently I spoke with someone who had written a letter to their baby prior to going into surgery. I thought that was a great idea, but since I am a poet it is actually easier for me to put my feelings into the form of a poem. I did this last night.

Visualizing Wholeness

I ride the fragile pauses
between deep breaths
into a place
where worry fails
allowing me impossible glimpses
that stretch high above
my heavy realty.
On this magic-carpet ride
I touch your lip
and it draws together
whole, as it was
in my first dream of you.
And I transfer your burden
onto my own face
as any mother would.
The whisper of this vision
must carry me through
until suddenly, I am strong.
Even after the surgeon
works his magic,
even after you wake
in astonished pain
until you smile again
a new smile
and we fly towards wholeness
together.

by Jacqueline Dooley

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home